5.06.2016

When life gives you lemons...



…you know the rest—make lemonade!

That’s what we’re doing around here right now, making the best of a challenging situation. My husband has been laid low--literally!--the past seven weeks with a back injury. Thankfully, he’s getting better, and we’re appreciating in a whole new way the little privileges of life we tend to take for granted…like sitting, tying your own shoes, going for a walk.

He’s reread a book on the power of praise during this time that has really been a gift to us.  You tend to forget that God wants you to be thankful in everything when you’re drowning in the circumstances and pain of trouble.

It seems a contradiction, but as we’ve talked and worked to implement this, we’ve been newly reminded of the power and benefit of praise and thanksgiving.  We’ve been able to stay in peace and not succumb to the negative.

So I'll share with you some sips of our lemonade!


Giving thanks to the Lord in everything…

…reminds us of the fundamentals:  He made us, He redeemed us at great cost, and He is working out His good master plan for our lives no matter what it looks like.  [Romans 8:28]

…keeps us out of the pit of discouragement and despair. [Psalm 40:1-3]

…cuts off complaining (which God hates).  [Numbers 14:29]

…reaffirms our faith and strengthens it.  [Philemon 6]

…is a powerful weapon against the attacks of the enemy on our minds and hearts.  [Psalm 28:6-7]

…is part of worship.  [Psalm 100]

…is an act of faith, and that's what pleases God.  [Hebrews 11:6]

…declares that we trust His leadership, wisdom, and love--no matter what it looks like or feels like.  [Proverbs 3:5-6]

…keeps us squarely in the Kingdom of light, not darkness.  Darkness is where death-things rule and I want no part of it.  [Colossians 1:12-13]

…gives God the freedom to work His creative wonders out of a difficult situation. That's what He does! That's what He's good at!  [II Chronicles 20:21-22]

…keeps the door open to miracles.  [Luke 17:11-19]

…brings peace to your heart. These things are bigger than we are and we cannot fix them. Casting our care on Him in a spirit of thankfulness and praise releases the problem to Him--right where He wants it to be.  [Philippians 4:6-7]

…declares what I believe He's going to do, and that's how we obtain the promises--believing what is true in the spirit even though we don't see it in the flesh.  [Hebrews 11:1]


So whatever lemons you’ve been dealt today, I offer you this good reminder. It works!


Be thankful in all circumstances, 
for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

I Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT)

6 comments:

  1. Wendy, I love going to God's word for encouragement. I like to do a search for any scripture pertaining to what I'm going through. I'm sorry your husband is having a hard time right now and pray for healing. Until then, keep praising Him in the storm and resting in Him.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and prayer, Debbie. I sure appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Oh Wendy, I'm sorry to hear your husband is having back trouble on top of everything else. ♥ ((hugs)). I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for sure. Wonderful words of encouragement though -- it's so easy to get caught up in my own little trials and forget to count my blessings. I always try to remember that others have it far worse than I (I had umbilical hernia surgery Wed 5/4 + my 87 yr. old mother is being so very difficult right now (sigh)). We have a BIG God that can do exceedingly abundantly. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jane ~ Wow, sounds like you have a plateful. May you heal quickly from the surgery! Thanks for the prayer support - I will be remembering you, too. So glad you have your family there to care for you and help share the load. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! Make lemonade and be content. (Talking to myself here!) I, too, pray that your husband makes a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn ~ That's the key word--content! Actually, I've been encouraged over the years when you've posted about contentment. Guess it's our ever-present challenge, huh? Thanks for the prayers ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you taking time to comment and being part of the conversation.