4.22.2016

Holding steady

One of the things I'm often challenged in is steadiness.  My mood or frame of mind can be influenced by lack of sleep or physical issues, stress and feeling overwhelmed, situations that feel edgy or out of control.  I want to be like what this blog is titled - still waters!  Unflappable, spiritually-minded, steady.  All the time.

It is clearer than ever to me that the battles of life are won or lost in my mind.  Discouragement with myself or situations can have a completely deflating effect, robbing me of motivation to do the right thing even when I don't feel like it.

While I'm better than I used to be, there's lots of room for improvement. It's one of the great goals of my life (and no doubt God's for me!).

I know that steadiness comes directly from my relationship with the Lord.  He is my source of peace, order, confidence, strength, etc.  And that means this unshakable quality I desire is spiritual in nature, not a product of perfect circumstances. It's ever the battle between the mind of the flesh and the mind of the spirit, isn't it? The apostle Paul said it perfectly:
So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.                Romans 8:6  NLT
There's the secret--letting the Holy Spirit take control. For me, that means really believing that when I ask Him to take care of a situation, He does.  God's grace (His supernatural ability) is specifically given for whatever the need, so if I can stay focused on that provision, instead of my issues, I will stay steady.  Working on that!

How about you?  How do you hold yourself steady in the daily struggles of life?

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful devotional Wendy! Yes, keeping deep in His Word and Prayer... and enough sleep. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. :-) Always appreciate your visits!

      Delete
  2. Aw, steadiness. Yes, a struggle with my mind as well. Sleep is sometimes out of our control it seems and it makes the biggest impact on my day. I would have to say that being kind to myself on days I feel "unsteady", along with keeping my mind on things that are worthy helps. Christian radio is also good for my mind, in addition to prayer and Bible reading, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that thought of keep 'worthy' things before me, occupying my ears and eyes with God's perspective. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you taking time to comment and being part of the conversation.